Wednesday, January 27, 2010

How to Save a Life

Dearest Readers,
Unfortunately, it's true that you never really know how you will act in an emergency situation, until an emergency situation. I would like to believe that I would rip off my top layer of clothing to reveal my alter-ego superwoman outfit, and with one fell swoop, I would save the day. I realize this is impractical, but seriously, I'd settle for catwoman.
During my 8 am Journalism Class many students stumble in half-conscious with a cup of coffee a mile high. Most arrive 5 to 10 minutes late. Grumbling. My teacher, I won't name out of respect, is an elderly but vivacious woman. It seemed to be an ordinary day, but this is about the time when the danger music would begin to play ominously in the background.
During the middle of our lesson, my teacher began struggling to form words. She's older, however, so this isn't extremely unusual. She seemed to regain her train of thought, but as we moved on to our next assignment, she put her head down on her desk. Someone asked if she was okay, and she began trying to tell us she was going to have to excuse class due to physical ailments. Before she could finish, she closed her eyes and had to grab the chalkboard for stability. *MOMENT OF PANIC*
It was pretty amazing to watch the class jump into action. Three students near her rushed to her side, while another student and I ran into the hall. Racing down the steps, my heart was pounding and all could think was HOLY [INSERT EXPLETIVE HERE].
I could barely form words myself when I talked to the secretary who instructed another to call 9-1-1. We raced upstairs, and found my teacher trying to give us our homework assignment with a facial expression I can only describe as barely masking fear. She was determined to tell the students not to worry about her. Class was dismissed.
Don't worry, dear readers, she had what they say is a minor stroke, but she is okay and recovering. She is no longer teaching my class, and she is living with her daughter now trying to find the cause to prevent future problems.
My class had actually helped save a life and had not panicked in a moment of crisis.
Lesson to be learned here: You can't always be superwoman, but you can still help save the day.
Forever Yours,
Adorkable

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I would hope that my forensics kids would do the same for me if I ever (God forbid) needed it. Good job! Mama H.

    ReplyDelete