Thursday, May 6, 2010

She Don't Really Like it Working At a Desk: Living Creatively When I'm Unmotivated

Dearest Readers,
I was always the girl who was on top of things…to a freakish degree. I thrived in my over achieving dorkiness. But somehow, in the midst of spring quarter when the birds are chirping and friends from other colleges are headed home for good, I have lost my motivation. I can’t focus. I am spending the majority of my free time staring off into oblivion, watching an embarrassing musical television series, taking pictures, or making a fool of myself (oh wait that happens even when I’m not unmotivated … silly me.)
So basically this bloggity post is going to be about what I’ve found when I’ve been hopelessly devoted to being unmotivated. (see how I made a rhyme…clever). So here is what makes me smile when I am lacking motivation to work … I find it in the randomest things :).
This wonderful amazingly talented woman named Katie has this blog where she posts her pictures. Okay, I know what you are thinking, okay Adorkable tons of people take pictures whoop-dee-freaking do. Well “ColormeKatie” is one of the most creative photographers I have ever seen. The walls of her apartment are white, so that she can decorate them in colorful pieces of paper each day to whatever suits her fancy. An example of her art is her thought bubble project, where she creates thought bubbles, puts them on the walls outside, and catches people as they walk beneath them. She also has the shadow project, where she cuts out shadows peter-pan style and catches people as they walk into them. She has even made her apartment into a giant fort, a paper airplane palooza, and a colorful crazy spectacle. Now other than my long tirade about my love for her, she has these semi-regular post on her blog where she puts up 10 pictures or so of silly things that make her happy, which inspired me to take some pictures and do my own rendition of 4 silly little things that make me happy (cause 10 is too many photos for someone like me who has no clue what they are doing with the crazy camera contraption). And just to be clear copyright totally goes to this talented lady, and please peruse her photos at your les-ure. (Her significant other ‘Matty’ even works for improveverywhere…I want to be her…sigh.)

My 4 silly little things that make me happy:
A knobby tree
There is a lot of white space here...so I feel the need to babble about this tree. Really, I like it, because it looks like someone blazed a trail through the bark. Where it goes ... the world may never know ...



Slacklining (which is basically where you tether a line between two
trees and try to learn how to be
in the circus and walk across
the line....rest
assured I only do it leaning on
others I don't have that kind of balance....no way)











Shadows (from a fence to a hunched kid to a tree on some bricks)













































Poop (tee hee hee...cause I'm mature)
This is on the wall of Bagel Street Deli here in Athens OH. It even has a smiley face between the os ... how could I resist this and call myself a real college kid?

Lesson To be Learned: Even the littlest things can brighten your day...if you look correctly (I know I know, I could write for Hallmark ... it's a gift I possess)
Photographically Yours,
Adorkable

ps. I hope you all realize I had no idea how to set up this page so I apologize for its foolish presentation

No comments:

Post a Comment