Friday, April 30, 2010

Find Out What It Means to Me (Why I Study Undergraduate Journalism)

Dearest Readers,
People always ask me why I want to go into journalism…seeing as it is not really the most lucrative industry (thanks for the reminder … world). Well, here’s the thing: I really wished I liked the idea of being a doctor or an engineer or some other profitable career, but when it comes right down to it: I love journalism and even it takes me some time, I will do something at least related to it for the rest of my life. So for all of you out their scoffing at me for my poor choice in careers or for those of you wondering why in the world am I doing this, I just wanted to give a teensy weensy explanation (jk it’s kinda long but…um…oh just read it anyway).
I’m going to be real here readers, I’m pretty sure I first time I said I wanted to be a journalist, it was because Rory on Gilmore Girls wanted to be a journalist (laugh at me all you want but at least I’m honest). That is, however, no longer my reasoning (I have matured…a little). Here is what it really comes down to: People are so interesting, and I want to find everything out there about them, so that I can tell the world, so the world can appreciate it. (for a journalist that was quite a run on…sad)
I was interviewing a girl in the belly-dancing club, (I know, I know, it was awesome) and I was talking to her about how much I’m inspired by people’s stories and she said simply “it’s because we feed off of other people’s positive energies.” No truer words had ever been spoken. Think about it. When you see people doing what they love, (you can tell by the way they talk about it, the way the break into a smile while they’re doing it) it energizes you! (Crazy how that works.) When someone talks to you about what they really love or about some issue that really matters to them, it’s like they are sharing a part of themselves (well they kind of are I guess) with you. For that moment, you are irrevocably a part of their lives.
What other profession would allow me to, as a college freshman, do the following: talk to veterans about their experiences overseas, interview those who live their lives on herbs, ask why a sexual assault victim won’t participate in take back the night, talk to girls in the belly dancing club … you get the idea. I learn about so many things and meet so many riveting people that I would not otherwise get to speak with.
Moving on, I am a curious person, and I have always wanted to know more about the world. Journalism is the perfect excuse. Seriously, haven’t you always wanted to know why someone started this club, how they learned this talented, or what goes on behind closed doors? That is where a journalist comes in. Now, many would say all journalists ignore property rights and invade people’s privacy, not true. Real journalists are people who love people and want to do justice to their lives and works.
It is so hard to take other people’s words and passions and boil them down to a 12 inch story that the world can understand, but that is the challenge I love. I love picking words and integrating quotes and watching their stories come to fruition in my 12 pt times new roman font. Most journalists knows that they can’t tell a story as well as their source can tell it, but it is up to them to do the best they can.
If you couldn’t already tell, journalism really just combines what I love (and would like to hope I am good at doing) talking to people and writing.
Lesson to be learned: Not everyone wants to be a journalist, but everyone should love what they want to be when they grow up. When I leave an interview, I am always smiling. Sure sometimes it stinks: not a ton of recognition, people are mad at you, transcribing is just the worst, but for me, the pros outweigh the cons. I can live with that. What are your thoughts on journalism and your future careers? Or your current careers? (see my journalistic curiosity busting out here? *wink, nudge, add a comment*)
So I study journalism, because I love it. It really is that simple. And I have to hope that because I love it and am passionate about it, I will succeed. Because I won’t settle for less.

Journalistically Yours,
Adorkable

ps. still my pictures!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment