Monday, April 5, 2010

You Can Always Look at the Negative, But You Should Always Live in the Positive


Dearest Readers,
Live in the mundane.
I know, so original isn’t it?! But seriously, consider it. Imagine if we all actually learned to appreciate the mundane. To embrace it.
For those of you who have spoken to me lately, you may have noticed that I have been in a bit of a funk. Readjusting to the new quarter, I have had trouble. I am a girl who likes to stay busy, and before classes start up I hate to feel I am just twiddling my thumbs. I have to be productive or I label it as ‘wasting my time.’ Maybe this is just my freaky nature or maybe it stems from the hyperactive culture of the high school I attended (see old blog post about not being able to take breaks…it kind of relates). The moral of the story is, I keep thinking that I am supposed to be embarking on the best four years of my life, and I am not taking advantage of everything. If I miss one opportunity, I’m out for the count!!! I don’t allow myself the chance to appreciate just being here.
Now consider this: most of you who read this are in college (I think). How many people actually get to go to college in their lifetime? What a privilege! The weather in Athens is gorgeous, the trees are blooming, people are coming out of hibernation to frolick amongst the greens. How lucky are we to live in a time where we can enjoy that? (Our country is not war torn internally, no one is forcing us to become cannibals, etc.) We are so incredibly lucky to just be where we are. To live. It’s that simple.
Now this post is not to say don’t take chances or ever live on the edge. One blog I read today really exemplified the importance of the taking risk mentality and how exiting it can be. But that doesn’t mean that every minute of your life has to be spent taking chances, doing everything that is great a wonderful. Because let’s be real, most of life is made up of how to kill the hour between classes, what to do this Friday, and what television series we will follow this season.
Lesson to be learned: We shouldn’t guilt-trip ourselves into always being productive. Don’t lose ambition, but take time to appreciate all that is gorgeous about the mundane: laughing with friends, walking to class in the sun, reading for pleasure. I know this sounds very kumbaya lets hold hands around the campfire, but hey, I’d rather be the one holding hands and singing than sitting sullenly on the log. (I feel this is a poor analogy….eh…you get the picture, you’re smart people.)
Life is what it is. So you can like it or you can hate it. It’s not really what you do, it’s your attitude. Live passionately.
Deep Thinkingly Yours,
Adorkable

ps. i actually took the picture for this blog post ... i am trying to learn how to use a camera ... like a real one. all the others come from websites that use the creative commons license.

3 comments:

  1. What I *meant* to say was, basically...

    - Great post. Really great sentiment.
    - Vonda Shepard: "The poetry of ordinary life is what I live for"
    - The picture is terrific.

    (If I were prone to use exclamation points, this comment would be full of them.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my best memories of college was stretching out on the lawn of Old Main on a beautiful spring morning. The solitude was interrupted occasionally by classmates walking by discussing important subjects like "What time are we going out tonight?” "Did you buy cases or a barrel?"

    I remember the sun warming my face, which at the time had a long thick beard and thinking, "This is nirvana. I will never be able to lay in the grass and have this much freedom while having so little to do ever again after I graduate." Yes, I agree. Immersing oneself in and enjoying the mundane is good. It never hurts to stop and smell the dandelions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's such a cute story thank you so much for telling me that.
    now all i have to do is grow a beard and i'll be set right?

    ReplyDelete